If you are planning to move to the UK as a University employee, you may have to apply for a visa. The University of Oxford sponsors more visas for Non-European International Staff than any other UK University. It has a dedicated Staff Immigration Team who offer guidance and assistance with visa applications for those employed by and visiting the University.

Your employing department/college, with assistance from the Staff Immigration Team, will advise which visa route is appropriate and the Staff Immigration Team will assist you as much as possible with your application, and advise on what records you and your employer will need to keep while you are here.

You will be asked to present original documents to establish your right to work in the UK before any work commences [please note that copies cannot be accepted]. This check applies to all staff, whether or not they require a visa. The checks must be carried out by your employing department/college on or before your first working day.

When entering the UK on a visa for the first time, you will be issued with a temporary vignette in your passport, valid for 30 days. You will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from a designated Post Office branch, normally on St Aldates in the city centre. If you presented the vignette as part of your right to work check, your department/college will need to see your BRP before the vignette expires. Visa holders from a small number of countries are required to register with the local police. If you have been told to do this, you should make an appointment to attend the Police Station, also on St Aldates.

Oxford and Brexit

The University is keeping its staff informed about the impact of the Referendum held in June 2016 via a designated webpage, including the latest updates from the Government and other interested parties such as the UK Research Councils and the Russell Group of leading UK universities. The page provides analysis, reactions from the Vice-Chancellor and other senior officers of the University, and some Frequently Asked Questions for staff (which are relevant to staff from EU countries, as well as those whose research is funded from EU sources).