There is a Welcome Event for Research Staff each term which is an excellent way to meet colleagues across the university. New academic staff are invited to attend a one-day Oxford Essentials course which provides an introduction to teaching and learning at Oxford.
You may develop your professional and personal skills whilst at Oxford by taking advantage of a wide range of courses, workshops and seminars. University employees in professional administration and support and technical roles can gain professional qualifications as part of the Work Learn Develop scheme. Researchers might like to use the Researcher Development Framework to identify suitable areas for development. The University also offers the popular personal development programmes: Springboard (for women) and Navigator (for men). Advice and mentoring for entrepreneurs is available through the Oxford Foundry (for students) and Oxford University Innovation (for researchers).
The following offer courses to University members:
- Free online lectures on Oxford University Podcasts and video courses on lynda.com (the latter is free for University staff)
- The Open University offers distance learning and adult education courses, as well as some free online courses
- Online courses are available from well-known universities on EDX, Futurelearn, Coursera (fees payable)
- TED Talks, a large online YouTube library of previously broadcast lectures, covering a wide array of topics including careers advice
- EURAXESS UK is a British Council managed hub which aids researchers in their career development, supporting mobility and acting as a support mechanism for researchers moving abroad or moving to the UK
Locally in Oxford
- The Department for Continuing Education offers many classes that staff and dependants may attend
- Oxford Talks publicises lectures that take place at the University and are open to the general public
- The City of Oxford College run a variety of part-time and evening adult education courses
- Oxfordshire County Council offer part-time and evening adult education courses in partnership with Abingdon & Witney College
- Oxford Speakers Club meets in the amazing environment of Oxford Town Hall and gives you the opportunity to improve your public speaking skills
- Blue Badge Guides operate tourist guide training courses, enabling speakers of all languages to become qualified and listed in the Blue Badge Guide database