Oxford University Careers Service
A dedicated advisor from the Careers Service, Lara Hayward, is available to offer advice to partners of University staff. You can be referred for a one-to-one session via the Welcome Service or the Newcomers' Club. You can also access lots of useful information via the Careers Service website, or subscribe to their blog.
'Opportunities in Oxford' group
The Opportunities in Oxford group of the Newcomers' Club provides support and advice for those who are looking for work, considering volunteering, or are interested in career planning or personal development. At the meetings, invited speakers focus on career-related topics such as how to write job applications, prepare for interviews, manage career change, and understand cultural differences in the workplace.
Jobs at the University of Oxford
The University is one of the largest employers in the area, employing over 10,000 staff. You can search for current vacancies here. Specific insight into professional and management careers at the University is detailed in Careers in Administration at Oxford. It may be helpful to refer to 'Tips on applying for a job at the University of Oxford' before or during your application.
The University runs its own Temporary Staffing Service, sourcing skilled support and technical temporary staff for short or fixed periods of time. Once you have registered with the service, you will be kept up to date about any vacancies which match your skills and experience. This can be an excellent stepping stone to a more permanent role, either within the University or elsewhere.
- Jobs.ac.uk - searchable database of academic and related posts across the UK.
- Prospects - listing of jobs, work experience programs and opportunities for post-graduate study; searchable by industry and region.
- TARGETjobs - database of graduate jobs, work experience schemes, internships and careers advice. They also run career recruitment events for specific industries.
- Job Centre Oxford - search engine funded by the UK Government's Department for Work and Pensions, which supports people of working age who are receiving employment benefit to find work. They also offer careers counselling, CV writing tips and advice on job applications to those receiving benefits.
- Allen Associates - marketing, finance, HR and admin
- Champion - accountancy, admin, catering, sales & marketing, HR, IT, industry, technology, and transport
- Hays - accountancy, banking, construction, finance, IT, law, life sciences and teaching
- Reed - jobs across 42 different sectors, including consulting, energy, IT, healthcare, finance, marketing and media; internships and graduate entry schemes
- Select - temporary and permanent roles in over 40 different sectors
- AgencyCentral maintain a vast list of recruitment agencies active in a variety of industries throughout the UK
If you are thinking of starting your own business, the Said Business School runs a 9-week evening lecture series on 'Building a Business'. The course costs £200, with a certificate issued on completion. The course is very popular so there may be a waiting list. Podcasts of the lectures can be viewed for free on iTunes, YouTube and the University's own podcast site.
Oxfordshire is home to many world-class business organisations and Oxfordshire Business Support (OBS) offer free advice and information on successfully starting and running a business through a network of expert volunteers. In addition, their Innovation Support for Business program can link you up with 'Network Navigators', specialist advisers from fields as diverse as media and publishing, advanced engineering and social enterprise, who provide industry-specific guidance and make introductions to other businesses and experts within the same field. The OBS also connect new and small businesses with UK and EU government grant and voucher schemes, venture capital, traditional bank finance, angel investors and crowdfunding.
Enterprising Oxford centralises all the information available regarding enterpreneurship in Oxford. You can sign up to their newsletter to receive notification of relevant events.